Entries are now open for the 2021 Irish Animation Awards and Animation Ireland has called on studios to submit their entries before Friday 5th February. This year’s ceremony will be an online event, taking place on Friday 21st May.
The 2021 Irish Animation Awards feature four new categories, including Best Storyboarding, Best Editing, Best Student Film and Best New Irish IP. Entries are open for all animation productions released between 1st January 2019 and 31st December 2020.
Commenting on the 2021 Awards, Animation Ireland Chief Executive, Ronan McCabe, said; ‘’It has been a tough year for Irish animation, but the quality of the outstanding work we produce here in Ireland has once again been world class. Its really heartening to see that the sector has continued to produce such exceeptional work and that the future remains bright for Irish animation. As with other years, the 2021 Irish Animation Awards is a time to celebrate the strength and vibrancy of the sector.’’
Ronan went on to say; ‘’We have four new award categories this year, and one which I am really looking forward to is Best Student Film. Animation Ireland has been working hard over the past five years to develop education opportunities in animation and to encourage more students to get involved in a great career choice. There are 20 awards in total, and it’s crucial that studios and animators submit their entries before the closing date of Friday 29th January.’’
The biennial awards ceremony is sponsored by RTÉ, Screen Ireland, Philip Lee, Brophy Gillespie and Gorilla Post.
Winners of each category will receive a statuette designed by animator, film maker and teacher Eimhin McNamara. The statuette resembles a Phenakistoscope which was an early animation device used to create an illusion of motion.
Animation Ireland is the trade association for Ireland’s animation studios. The animation sector directly employs more than 2,000 people, a number that is rapidly growing year on year. Animation Ireland now has 35 member studios, up from 25 in 2018 and just 14 in 2015.
Full List of Award Categories:
- Best Animated Preschool Series (Up to 6 years old)
- Best Animated Kids Series (Over 6 years old)
- Kids’ Choice for Best Animated Preschool Series (Up to 6 years old)
- Kids’ Choice for Best Animated Kids Series (Over 6 years old)
- Best Animated Short Film
- Best International Animated Short Film
- Best Writer for an Animated Preschool Series (Up to 6 years old)
- Best Writer for an Animated Series (Over 6 years old)
- Best Animation for Apps, Gaming and Interactive
- Best Design and Art Direction
- Best Director of an Animated TV Series
- Best Animated Sequence
- Best Music Design
- Best Sound Design
- Best Irish Feature Film or Special
- Best Newcomer
- Best New Irish IP (New Category)
- Best Editing (New Category)
- Best Storyboarding (New Category)
- Best Animated Student Film (New Category)
For more details on the Irish Animation Awards please visit www.irishanimationawards.ie
For more information on Animation Ireland please visit www.animationireland.com
Please note: Ronan McCabe is available for interview.
Paul Allen & Associates
18 Fitzwilliam Square South, Dublin 2
01 676 9575/086 897 6442