Website Lighthouse Studios
About the role
The role of Assistant Director is to ensure consistency of delivery from a creative and technical p.o.v. from Lighthouse Studios to the commissioning production partner. The Assistant Director will bring their A-Game to this project to encourage, motivate and support the team. Specifically, the Assistant Director will liaise with all depts from Layout to Comp to ensure communication is kept flowing through all departments resulting in the most efficient workflow possible. A key aspect of the role is understanding each department’s needs and offering solutions to potential cross departmental issues. The Assistant Director must ensure that no department causes a bottleneck. The Assistant Director must spot potential workflow issues early on and inform the Line Producer so a solution can be agreed.
We really value can-do attitudes here at Lighthouse. If you’re someone who thinks outside the box and looks for solutions, not problems, then you’ll fit right in.
What you’ll be doing
- Attend department launches based on briefings from the Directors on the Commissioning production partner side.
- Thorough analysis of all animatics as they arrive in Lighthouse; understanding the key story and performance moments and communicating these to the team; identifying potential problems and working with Line Producer and Department Heads finding solutions to these problems.
- Closely review all design shipments and understand how and where these elements operate in reference to the animatic and storytelling; identify any problems and omissions and bring them to the attention of the Line Producer before work begins.
- Work closely with the LHS Line Producer and Department Heads/Sups/Leads to discuss best practices in delivering on the creative intentions of the show based on the launch briefings.
- Set up regular meetings with the department heads to ensure all are informed of the correct information.
- Work closely with production & department supervisors to problem solve and prioritize workload through production stages to achieve the strongest output in the time available.
- Review, approve final delivery material from most departments in-line with the Directors’/Commissioning production partner’s overall vision.
- Attend any production or creative meetings with the commissioning production partner.
- Maintain ongoing and constructive communication with the commissioning production partner regarding questions, concerns and issues related to the creative side of the production.
- Review commissioning production partner notes and flag concerns to LP.
- Interpret commissioning production partner’s needs and provide constructive feedback to crew.
- If needed participate in the recruitment process to review portfolios and tests, interview candidates, and provide detailed feedback.
- Attend meetings, reviews and workshops when required.
The above is not exhaustive and from time to time you may be asked to carry out other tasks.
What Lighthouse are looking for
- 3-5 years of experience in the role
- Extensive knowledge of 2D animation techniques and pipeline
- Knowledge and understanding of computer software being used throughout the pipeline
- Well-developed drawing, animation & comedic timing and composition skills
- Proven leadership skills and the ability to manage a team effectively
- Able to handle sensitive, confidential information appropriately
- Strong communication skills; verbal, nonverbal and written
- Proficient in Microsoft office (word, excel)/Google Documents
- Professional and positive attitude
What Lighthouse will offer you
When you join Lighthouse Studios, you will be joining a diverse and multicultural crew in the beautiful neo-Gothic building of Kieran’s College, based in the heart of medieval Kilkenny. And when we say multicultural, we mean it – our crew is currently represented by over 25 different nationalities.
The studio is a hub of talent and is constantly buzzing with creativity. Working here will not only give you the opportunity to work on productions for content giants such as Amazon, Apple TV+, Netflix and Warner Bros., but also to learn from some of the most talented individuals in the industry, your fellow crew members.
In addition to learning from your colleagues, you also have the opportunity to partake in our in-house learning and development programme, so you can be sure that your time at Lighthouse will be beneficial for you – not only now but in years to come. Of course, we also have many other benefits such as a pension plan, employee assistance programme, health benefits, regular crew parties and much more!
If that sounds like the kind of place you’d like to work then what are you waiting for, apply now!
Lighthouse Studios Limited is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to fostering a diverse, inclusive, fulfilling and progressive work environment. We encourage applications from candidates with different backgrounds, experiences and perspectives as it strengthens us, as individuals and as a studio. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ethnicity, ancestry, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable legislation. We are committed to positively supporting candidates – If we can make any reasonable accommodations for you in the recruitment process in order to give you the opportunity to perform to your best, please let us know. Any information that you provide will be used only for the purposes of providing relevant support and will have no bearing on how your application will be viewed. If you require an accommodation to participate in the hiring process, please email HR@lighthousestudios.ie and we will be happy to accommodate you as best we can.
To apply for this job please visit lighthouse.bamboohr.com.