Website Boulder Media
For the last sixteen years Boulder Media has been producing award winning shows. It currently employs over 150 people making Boulder one of Ireland’s largest animation studios.
ROLE: 3D LIGHTING LEAD
REPORTING TO: DIRECTOR AND ART DIRECTOR
SUMMARY OF ROLE
The role of Lead Lighter requires someone with an in-depth knowledge of 3D software, with several years’ experience in a similar supervisory role working on CG TV or film projects.
Applicants should have excellent communication skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work collaboratively with multiple tasks.
They should have a well-developed ‘eye’, a good working knowledge of art, design and film as well as a solid technical grounding in Maya and render software. They will collaborate with the CG supervisor and pipeline team to produce the project’s lighting pipeline.
- Establish key lighting set-ups for locations and characters.
- Work closely with the Art Director to set the required look.
- Shade and Surface key CG assets meeting the art director’s visual requirements.
- Work with the Lighting team and CG supervisor to ensure the project’s lighting pipeline is stable and economical.
- Provide regular progress updates to the Production Manager and CG supervisor on any technical/workflow bottlenecks within the lighting and shading schedule.
- Supervise the quality control (both technically and visually)
- Define, document and communicate standards and techniques for the lighting department.
- Provide leadership and support for the lighting teams both creatively and technically.
- Collaborate with pipeline and the CG Supervisor to make requests for studio pipeline tool enhancements.
- All work to be produced in accordance to episodic breakdowns and deadlines as provided by the Production Manager.
- Support the Production Manager in recruiting.
- Produce and develop any training plus documentation needed to enhance lighting crew skill sets.
- Oversee file management and ensure that all folders and files are organised optimally.
- Ensure that all naming conventions are adhered to correctly. Ensuring that all departments understand the requirements and have sufficient information to maintain correct procedure through the pipeline.
- Must have at least 5 years’ experience working as a Lighter (or similar position) in either broadcast or feature film work
- Must have an excellent working knowledge of lighting in Maya.
- Must have an excellent working knowledge of render software.
- Must be proficient in shading and surfacing materials.
- Must have a good “eye” and a thorough understanding of light, colour, contrast, shading, and lighting design.
- Task Driven, self-motivated, and proactive
- Must be open to direction.
- Must be proficient in Nuke
- Must demonstrate attention to detail in the finishing of assets and shots.
- Knowledge of Python (and/or Mel) is a bonus.
- Experience with shotgun (or asset tracking systems) is a bonus.
- Experience in lighting pipeline development.
- Ability to train Junior Artists.
- Must be a strong leader as well as a team player
- Technically skilled, with strong problem-solving skills
The ideal candidate will be/have
- A strong leader
- A team player
- Technically skilled
- Strong problem-solving skills and attention to detail.
- Self-motivated and proactive
- Open to direction
To Apply: If you think you fit the description above please forward your CV, cover letter and links to your demo reel/portfolio/website to email@example.com remembering to put “Lighting Lead 3D Feature” in the subject line.
This role is only open to applicants willing to relocate to Ireland if required and all applicants must be eligible to work within EEA.
This company is an equal opportunities employer.